Sensitive Application Data Stored Unencrypted
Summary: Sensitive Application Data Stored Unencrypted is a web security vulnerability that occurs when a web application stores sensitive information, such as passwords, credit card details, or personal data, in plain text format or with weak encryption. By exploiting this vulnerability, attackers can easily access and view sensitive data, leading to data breaches, identity theft, and other security compromises.
Attack Vector: Local or Remote
Impact: By successfully exploiting the storage of sensitive data in an unencrypted or weakly encrypted state, attackers can access and misuse the exposed information, compromise user privacy, and potentially perform fraudulent activities.
Affected IP Address: https://www.example.com/
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Identify the target web application that stores sensitive data, such as passwords or credit card information.
2. Analyze the storage mechanism used by the application, including database configurations and encryption practices.
3. Attempt to access the application's database or data storage to verify the presence of sensitive data in plain text or weakly encrypted form.
4. Retrieve and view the exposed sensitive information to confirm its accessibility and readability.
5. Observe the impact of the data exposure, such as unauthorized access to user accounts or unauthorized use of credit card details.
To mitigate Sensitive Application Data Stored Unencrypted vulnerabilities, consider the following recommendations:
1. Encrypt sensitive data at rest using strong cryptographic algorithms and secure key management practices.
2. Use hashing algorithms with salts to store and verify passwords securely.
3. Implement secure coding practices to prevent data leakage through logs, error messages, or debug output.
4. Regularly audit and review the application's storage mechanisms to ensure sensitive data is adequately protected.
5. Comply with relevant data protection regulations and industry standards to safeguard user privacy.
1. OWASP - Cryptographic Storage Cheat Sheet: https://cheatsheetseries.owasp.org/cheatsheets/Cryptographic_Storage_Cheat_Sheet.html
2. OWASP - WSTG - Latest | OWASP Foundation
Proof of Concept:
Since the impact of Sensitive Application Data Stored Unencrypted vulnerabilities can vary depending on the specific web application and data storage practices, no specific proof of concept is provided. It is crucial to encrypt sensitive data and follow secure storage practices to protect user information and prevent unauthorized access effectively.